Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Sr20 swap. prices and places... ideas anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Sr20 swap. prices and places... ideas anyone ?

im saving up for an sr20 swap on my 91' 240. i need to know some things like if im going to need to get new motor and tranny mounts or if i can use those from the ka. also, around what should i pay? i was going to get from flashoptions.com because of the inexpensive price, but i dont know about quality. has anyone ordered from there? any advice? anyone want to tell me exactly what to do? anything would be good for me. the swap is going to be done by a friend of mine and some mechanic friends. let me know some info.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

I will say it again, search. heavythrottle.com. Dont even look at flashoptions, you will never get your clip. search for more info on them...but dont waste your time with them.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

There's a where to buy thread in here somewhere that's not that old. I'd set you up but shipping will be terrible to Florida from Wa State, so better to check Heavythrottle, there's also a guy on ebay in Miami you might want to check out, don't know how the quality is but being you live there you can see it live and choose wisely.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

No flashoptions never never don't do it. I've had more than one customer who bought a clip from us after NEVER recieving their clip from flashoptions. Sucks to pay twice.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:15 AM

megaman i am going to buy going to buy an complete swap from rickys auto, raceup.com, the guy on ebay. he is ok the only thing is to check the engine your self he told me he would drop the oil pan and show me everything look at the connecting rods for play, movement if you see anything dont get one to another one the sr is a very tight motor and any play in the bearing is bad if you need some more help or if you need some one to go down to see ricky i would be glad to go and show you what to look for. by the way i am going to buy the motor the eight of this month. may
Old 05-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

If they still have oil in them it's pretty obvious if they have a bad bearing, it doesn't take very much play to have a knock and it probably won't be visable unless it's really bad. Generally here's what to check. Pop the oil filler cap-smell and have a look. If it smells burnt or you can see oil-Jello in there, pass. Also check the turbo to make sure it spins and isn't leaking oil into the compressor side. Check wherever the exhaust was cut or unbolted for alot of carbon or oily residue-could tell of problems. Finally do a compression test if allowed. Should be 150-160 PSI, and reach it in about 5 compression strokes. Rings can dry up during Ocean freight so a little cranking may be needed to get the oil pressure up and seat them properly before testing. Anyone that comes to buy locally from us can watch us comp test the swap they wish to buy, I'd expect it if I was the customer.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 PM

Anyone heard anything good/bad about Venus Auto? They carry a lot of JDM parts, including clips. The reason I'm asking is that I live in Roseville, CA and Venus is in Sacramento, which is only like 15 miles away.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

socom, since you live close to them go by their warehouse/shop and check the engine yourself before you buy it. Tell them to compression check it in front of you as well.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:46 AM

i was thinking about venus auto also. i was reading an old sport compact and found the " build a turbo silvia for under 3000" and they had a front clip supplied by venus auto that cost 1500. ive been trying to call and email them but havent heard back.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Venus I have heard mixed reviews from people about their quality. If you are local and can go check and choose your clip I wouldn't worry tho. Good luck getting a clip for $1500, all that was, was a hook up for the magazine people.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 AM

how much would it cost for a front clip from your place plus shipping to fort lauderdale florida? what kind of prices do you have ?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

We're pretty decent say a redtop clip including driveline and LSD rear suspension for $2595. Shipping the clip is crazy to FL tho like up to $900 for Southern Parts. The clip includes everything as a complete car 1/2 cut, keys, guage cluster, and any mods like BOV's or boost controllers are in place. Often they will even pull the entire car harness which means you could install it in anything. The problem with the East Coast is the places selling there have their shipments go thru Panama and it doubles the cost of the Ocean Freight, so it's hard for them to sell at the prices we can here. We are currently out of SR's more are due in soon.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Re: Sr20 swap. prices and places... ideas anyone ?

Originally posted by MegaMan240
im saving up for an sr20 swap on my 91' 240. i need to know some things like if im going to need to get new motor and tranny mounts or if i can use those from the ka.
I say definately get new mounts. It's an inexpensive investment and definately worth it. For around $200 you can get the set of 3 from Nismo. Do things right from the begining, it'll save you alot of headaches later. Why you gonna set your new motor on 13 year old mounts just to save a couple of bucks? Also do as much of the little stuff as you can. i.e. water pump, exhaust manifold gasket, turbo gasket, thermostat, iacv cleaning, new clutch, etc...