Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR will crank, but won't fire. Timing questions ( pics and video! )

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:28 PM

SR will crank, but won't fire. Timing questions ( pics and video! )

I'll make this quick and simple with plenty of pics and videos. Bare with me I'm running out of ideas...

The SR cranks but won't start. While cranking I'll get a few pops, and a backfire once and awhile. Everything in the engine bay is hooked up all the way back to the turbo elbow/ O2 sensor. ( wiring, FMIC, BOV, etc )

I've attemtped to reset the timing almost 4-5 times already. I've pulled the VC off to do this 3 times.

Here are pics from the last attempt.

Here is the chain.. The darker links are where they should be (frsport.com) at 11 and 2.

Here is where the cams sit at this position. The #1 cylinder is at TDC with the lobes facing outwards. ( compression stroke, correct? )

[b] Here is the CAS installed. Before installation the mark on the base was lined up with the right most mark. As it was installed it rotated to the lower left mark as shown. ( also, shown in frsport.com's guide )

...and the crank pulley. Set on the second to last mark on the left

Here is a video of this attempt. Sounds as if it almost wants to fire...
"Test Fire Video"

I've swapped the CAS for one on another motorset I had. Now there is a chance they could be bad, but I'd rather not assume that.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

timing looks correct, all i can tell you is to make sure battery is good, check to ensure you are getting spark from each plug as well as fuel..and quadruple check all plugs lol...goodluck though
Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM

Getting spark on all four. Spark appears to be strong ( white/blue color ), fuel on all plugs.

Comp test tonight:

145, 145, 145 148
Old 08-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

damn man i duno what to tell you, one plug out of place or not hooked up could make all of the difference...id just try jumpin it to make sure the battery is juiced and turn the key while playing with the gas pedal...if that dont start her then theres something electrical wrong..