Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Scion tc vs 90 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Question Scion tc vs 90 240sx

ok dont laugh yet! I have a 05 scion tc and a 90 240sx i have been doing researh for awhile now and im still stuck. I want to build my 240 with the sr20det motor. what i want to know is what times aim i looking at and money if i put $4500 into the 240 with the sr20det swap am i only looking at 12 sec in quater mile if so i can do the same with my scion for a little less?
what do i have to be afraid of? Are wrx's and lancers going to kick my ***? i was told by a place in pa called dynamic motorsports that with the sr20det and a little turbo upgrade i can sleep past corvets is this true? if so its a no brainer but i had a 98 gt with few mods that i got rid of cause i was told the 240 with that motor would chew the mustang up i hope i didnt make the wrong discion. sorry for the ?'s im not putting any car down i love them all im just trying to get facts strait. please help without to much aggresion.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

240 sucks as a drag car.

Scion is probably way more comforable.

Sell your 240 and fix up the scion.

For fast time's at the quarter mile i would stick with domestic, because they can kick just about anythings *** on a straight line.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

with a well built sr... engine mods, some suspension (tires, subframe spacers) you could run 12s.. i dont know much about the scions, but there is a huge market for sr's, and im not sure if scions have that many performance options

Originally posted by Levi SPL S14
240 sucks as a drag car.
or not... it definately has potential as a drag car, especially sr powered, or ka if done right. ie:
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...highlight=drag
Old 12-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

basically, 240's can be good drag cars...but come on, we all know deep in there hearts they want to be sideways. 4500 can only go so far, are u doing all the work yourself or is someone gonna do everything for u? because right there is a lot of extra cash to do it urself. i dont think 4500 will get u 12's, well not doing it in a dependable way anyways. but yes a 240 with a few basic mods such as fmic, exhaust, and boost controller will eat up a gt all day long...**** my dads stock maxima beats gt's quite often...im still on stock turbo and internals and i raced an 04 vette from a 60 roll and beat him by 2 car lengths...so yea they got potential( i realize if we went from a stop tho he would eat my *** up)...and i dont know anything about scions so ur on ur own there
Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

$4500 spent on the SR (parts alone, you do ALL the work) and a nitrous setup will get you where you want to go.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

yea that definately will, but like i said, not in a dependable way. I would never run nitrous on a stock internals sr..
Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM

thanks

ok so im going to fix up my 240. 4500 is someone else doing the work and that include the whole swap. intercooler thats it. but looking around its close to the same price either way cause he wants 2500 for the sr20 w/o install and like 800 for the intercooler. yeah i guess i could save a 1000 bucks doing it my self. what else should i do to the car to make it hit 12's I know i need major suspension work and a lot of the bushings are rotted but besides that what do i need to do to the motor. And thanks guys for the help.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Nismo Power brace...and you're probably right for thinking you need to replace your bushings. You should probably get new ones, and like...metal collars. That should eliminate wheel hop, and probably help to put that power to the ground. Stiffen up your chasis a little bit too.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I almost forgot...maybe it's too late now, but...

Think about this: There is NO replacement for displacement. WHY on earth would you go SR20, when it's .4 liters less than the KA motor. The TC is 2.4 liters as well, you might as well mod that.

I don't know what you know about the SR20...it's a good motor, but thats mainly because it was built to be turbo friendly. Theoretically, if you max out the KA to it's greatest potential(turbo wise), and the SR20 to it's potential as well, I'll bet you'd get more power out of the KA.

Lets think of air/fuel ratio as peanuts in a container. You want to move these peanuts into a large bucket, using a cup to transfer them. What is the most efficient way to move the peanuts each cycle?

Well, one way is to get a larger cup. Much like in an engine, if you bore to a larger size(more displacement), you are essentially increasing the amount of air/fuel(peanuts) each cycle, thus giving you more power(...or nuts).

Another way is to pack more peanuts into the cup, by cramming as many in there as you possibly can. In engine terms, this is like going the forced induction route. You are basically compressing more air/fuel inside the combustion chamber, allowing for a larger delivery of power on the downstroke.

The last way is to transfer the peanuts faster; which is much like variable valve timing...(which I believe the SR has.)

Just a few thoughts...before you ruin your life. J/p.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM

I would never waste my time or money producing a 240 into a drag machine, I would only drive the blessed 240's sideways. If you want something that will run the 1/4 mile and desmate all, i would go with a Supra. IMO
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Initial Daniel
Theoretically, if you max out the KA to it's greatest potential(turbo wise), and the SR20 to it's potential as well, I'll bet you'd get more power out of the KA.
Thats opinion and very vague, max out turbo wise, how? Alot of boost big *** turbo?

SR is stronger than KA and will be able to take more boost. Thus make more power.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

If u want a 12 sec drag car, let the 240 go because it doesnt want to....just go buy back ur gt and throw a supercharger or nitrous on it...
Old 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Levi SPL S14
SR is stronger than KA and will be able to take more boost. Thus make more power. [/B]
Well, I guess it's definitely opinion based, considering I am trying to go KA-T, but at the same time, the SR is stronger because it's internally built to be boosted. Maybe I shouldn't be so vauge, I'm not trying to pass my opinions as fact, but there are a lot of variables involved in making power, internals are important, but AFTER all that, displacement becomes the big issue...

...Oh, and making torque.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Get an old muscle car, thow a big v8 in it, and be happy
Old 12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

whats the purpose behind this drag car? or do u just want a car that can run 12's? u would really be better off with buying a cheap v8 car and throwing nitrous or something on than bulding an sr up to be that fast, yes sr's can be extremely fast, but for a lot more money than v8's can. i love my sr to death but i realize v8s have the advantage, but to me its just that much sweeter when i beat a car with double the motor as me, but it definately does cost $$$

Quick Reply: Scion tc vs 90 240sx