Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Rebuilding an SR20DET

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM

Rebuilding an SR20DET

I searched and found nothing, so reluctantly I'm posting this thread.

Has anyone rebuilt an SR20DET completely.

Crank/Main Bearings. What type did you use, and where did you find them. I found that someone used Clevite Bearings, but where did you get them and what type did you use.

Pistons and rods I know can be searched for a lot easier, but bearings were not found.

Valve train. What kind of upgrades have you used. Again, what type/where did you find them?

I'm planning on building up an SR20DET right now. Rebuilding the internals and building it to be bulletproof. I'm starting with the basics.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:30 AM

Bearings have to be custom ordered based on the specification of your crankshaft, piston rods and mains. You'll also need another set for the camshaft bearings. I recommend having an engine machining shop do the machine work on the block and head and order the bearings for you. Pistons and piston rings will have to be ordered based on how much machining is done to the cylinders.

Just shop around at some engine machine shops and ask them questions.

Last edited by devnull; 10-26-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:13 AM

I've never rebuilt a nissan, simply because I'm new to them, but I'll be working on that soon. But atleast on hondas, the block, and rods have bearing codes. If you copy them down, and take them to the dealer and they will give you the color coded bearings you need for each specific rod, and crank journals. Don't know if this holds true with nissan either, but honda O.E.M was the best way to go for bearings. Ultra reliable, and buddies from XTR racing (2003 nhra points leader), used them on their motor to the excess of 900+ HP. If you dont have the stock rods in the block, you will have to take the block to a machine shop, and have them color code the block for you. OR you can grab a mic, and figure out your own setup, if you have some pre determined tolerances already. Hope that helped. Good luck.

iNi
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 AM

Just keep us updated for this will lead to some great info later. Im sure i will be doing it in the near future also.

Are you planning on a stroker kit or trying to peice together parts and keep it 2.0 liter. Just curious because i am looking into stroker kits and wanting to know if they come with the rod bearings. good luck though.