Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB30(D)E Swap Ready... almost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 AM

RB30(D)E Swap Ready... almost

Ok, I have registered with just about every 240SX/Silvia specific messageboard in the US and AUS. I'm going to nail this project down before I pull the KA out.

Here's the scoop:
We have a 92 240SX convertible. I have (through sheer luck) acquired a RB30E engine + wiring from a VL Commodore. We also acquired RB25DE heads for a DOHC conversion. They bolt up perfectly BTW.

1+1=2... We're doing this 3.0L straight 6 RB monster swap. Yes, we know there will be hood clearance issues and have planned accordingly.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone done this swap (I see MANY RB gurus here)

Which RWD manual transmissions will bolt directly to this block? Has anyone gone from a 240SX auto to a RB manual?

Which ECU / Speedo should we use?

Any suggestions on frame strengthening on the convertible? We are removing the convertible assembly and are installing a 6 pt cage and tying the stut towers together in a sturdier fashion than cheap STBs. Should that be enough for the 500HP target?

I've been driving the 240 for about 6 months on and off and its fun as hell to drive. It needs quite a speed upgrade, though.

Here's a to-buy list

R33 crossmembers
McKinney Motorsport Mounts and wiring
suggested manual tranny + accessories

Thanks for any help in advance!!! Yes, we will be doing a writeup!!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:45 AM

if you buy mckinneys mounts then you dont need the cross member. if you are using the 25 head then use the 25 harness and ecu.

the rb25 or tranny will bolt up so pick one. use the stock 240 speedo just use the speed sensor from a s13 tranny.

auto s13 to manual is a snap. doing one right know and have done a few before. there is a plug that goes to the old auto tranny jump it with a wire. it's for the shift lock.

evrything else is pretty straight through. goodluck.