Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

rb25det wiring and other infor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM

rb25det wiring and other infor

Ok, i am about 3-4 months away from getting a 240sx and doing some work on it. I am thinking of a rb25 because of its rarity in the car and its potental. I know that it needs (or it is suggested) to get the motor mounts to make it fit better. I was thinking about going with the kit from McKinney that includes the custom drive shaft also. My real question is about the dificulty with the wiring harness. How hard is it to get it to work with the 240's guage cluster? Also, is it possible to get it to work with the mph so it doesnt read in kph. I am probably going to buy a 95-96 s14.

Expected Prices: (tell me if i am right or about right on them and what else i need)

1. 95-96 240sx $3000-4500 depending on condition
2. RB25det Clip $3000-3500
3. McKinney motor adaptor kit $1150
4. wiring ?

Is there a company or person that can do the wiring for me so that way i will have to do minimal work on the actuall harness. I plan on doing the swap myself if possible. I will have about $10,000 to spend and am also thinking about other possible upgrades. Such as FMIC, new intake manifold to support the FMIC. Turbo upgrade maby. New clutch. And possible other goodies.

Any input except that that is telling me to search is welcome, i have been searching for over a month to get this info and read on other stuff, i am just checking to see if i am missing stuff which i am sure that i am missing. Any links to helpfull threads are welcome.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-01-2003, 08:42 PM

jonpowell does it im told. maybe go to xatracong in florida. they build rb powered cars to order. they'll find you a car and put a motor in it with an xxx gaurantee. www.xatracing.com
Old 12-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

Your plan is fine and all, but if you're going to get the McKinney package, skip out on the driveshaft...you can get one made at any driveshaft shop for $350-$400...no need on spending $550 on theirs because it has a sticker on it.

Camry - the guy wants to do the swap himself, why refer him to some place that builds vehicles? He wants to learn the engine, do the work, feel the joy after completion...too many people are too eager now-a-days to just pay someone off to do everything for them...sure, if you're not gifted at wiring, get a wiring service. No satisfaction like that of Skyline Powering your 240SX...yourself.

Anyhow, intake manifold, those other parts...I'll have them available soon. We are in the testing phases right now of a new intake manifold that should be done relatively quick. $10,000 should build you a pretty nice car. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck and hope all turns out exactly as you dream of it.

Night
Old 12-02-2003, 03:40 AM

The way I've seen it, you don;t even have to be gifted in wiring. I"m no wiring genius and I figured out the RB20 --> 240sx wiring. You just need basic knowledge on car electronics. But with all the info out there now, I think I could train a monkey to do it, but I guess I'm not gifted in the monkey training department to do it.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:19 AM

thanks guys, i need to find a place here in town that can make my drive shaft then, are all the measurements the same from driveshaft to driveshaft.....

night: keep me informed on the intake manifold. also, could you make me intercooling piping for a front mount? on your rb powered 240 do you have a FMIC?

camry: theyre right, i want to do it myself for the satisfaction that i basically built the car from the ground up, its a personal satisfaction thing.

Also, does anyone have the wiring diagram from both cars? so i can compare and see what all needs to be done, cause if possible i would like to just extend the RB harness and use that so i can keep the KA harness intact just incase something happens down the line.

Thx
Old 12-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

By being a wiring genius, I was talking about doing the extensive conversion that integrates both harnesses into one, uses different plugs, gauges etc... The kind of stuff that Jon does. The 8 wire conversion is not half as difficult as the other, but it still requires that you know what you're looking at.

RB wiring diagrams can be found on www.skylinesdownunder.com in the forums or on www.meggala.com Even go to google and type in RB25DET Wiring Diagram...you may come up with something.

RB driveshafts - different depending on if you use a mount kit or the R33 X-member...I just used the R33 X-member which was easy enough for me. When you use a mount kit, it shortens the length of the driveshaft, when you use the R33 X-member, it extends the length. What I recommend is doing the swap, then bringing the car down to the driveshaft shop and letting them measure it, or take your stock KA driveshaft and measure off how long it needs to be...then take it in with the Skyline driveshaft and tell em "I need the driveshaft this long, single piece, with the yolk from this driveshaft"...they'll order you up the parts and make the right one.

Yeah, I have a FMIC on my RB25 car...I also carry the kits, downpipes, etc... we are coming out with fuel rails, intake manifolds, and turbo kits for the RB20 and RB25 engines....

Night
Old 12-02-2003, 05:24 PM

awesome, thanks, keep me informed on your new products as they come out. do you think you will have any RB25's in around feb-march?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:24 PM

I would like to said that you can find a great article at turbomagazine.com, do a search for RB25det swap. you will find the article with all type of information regarding the swap. the article also has a list of all the store online. thera is one store that actually charges around 200.00 for the wiring and they have a great kit for 700.00(mount, wiring...)www.supertunermotorsports.com this is the website.
www.unstable-hybrids.com.
www.night7racing.com good price in the inter cooler pipes and the fuel pump. also check phase2motortrend.com.
let me know how it goes? i'll be doing mine very soon. right now the engine is all prep and I am just waiting to be done with school to dedicate more time to the car. good luck...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

I wish SuperTunerMotorsports had their stuff together. As far as I know, they have not yet finished the wiring for the Sport Compact Car article vehicle that they were doing... Unstable-Hybrids no longer does anything with RB's...they are officially closing shop the first of the year...

I would shoot more towards March although it may actually turn out around April depending on supply in Japan and how many I can import.

Night
Old 12-03-2003, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Here is the RB25DET pinout...as for the S13, go to the dealer and ask one of the techs to photocopy the pages, that's what I did.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~logic/c...R33_Pinout.pdf

If you want to integrate both harnesses together, plan on a buttload of time to get it all right. I put it all together, taped it up, and made sure everything was working correctly, then pulled it all apart again and soldered it, heat shrink, taped the bunches together and then put it all back in place. Took quite a bit of time, but the final product is WELL worth the effort. Plus I dont have to worry about anything going bad or coming loose later.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:18 AM

thanks all, ill read up more on what yall said when i get home from school, thanks again.

2minikno: i am in the same boat as you, im waiting for school and sports to die down before i start this project, thats y im waiting till feb-march for it while it is still cool but not cold here in the deep south.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:22 PM

I am working in my suspension, brakes, differential and a jic magic titanium cat back with a magnaflow converter. I want to get everything ready before putting the engine. the swap will be done by june, if everything runs smooth.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Jon - why are you selling your car man? After all of that work? I feel really bad man...wish I could help you out. Have you thought any more about the wiring deal? Maybe that would help?

Night
Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 AM

john you are selling your car?!?!? you and night's cars are what inspired me to put a rb25 in a 240, financial troubles?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Financial troubles is right, I would have to get another harness real quick to do one up before this car goes. I would like to that stuff, but I gotta have everything setup first.

I am planning a vengeful comeback so don't worry TOO much about me being down...I am not out yet.

Quick Reply: rb25det wiring and other infor