Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

rb25det is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM

rb25 is good for power but real heavy get good brakes...

sr20 is light and still makes good power..

You can win any way you go but rb25 might as well go 26 so its worth it.. 26 is sick!!! nothing sounds like a great 26.......psssst!!
jeff
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 PM

So nobody has any idea how the car drives after the RB swap? As in handling?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

well since the s13 is already understeer happy and then you throw more weight in the front end, its prolly not gona get any better. But im sure its not completely horrible
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member

I posted this a million times. the handling difference is not an issue. honestly there is only a handlefull of people on this forum that have the talent/ability/experience to be considering the handling differences. I am one of those people, and I have talked to some of the others that would know and we have all come to the same conclusion: its not even important enough to be considered! and if you are that worried about it and you are swapping and spending lots of time and $$$$$, throw the battery in the back, get rid of some unneeded things up front, and upgrade the brakes like you should for any of these swaps. You need a brake upgrade not because of weight, but because you can get the little car going to higher speeds, in a shorter distance than you could before, hence more slowing power is needed so you dont plow into something.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Contributing Member

A truly talented driver will be able to compensate.

Throw Michael Schumacher into a car with 300 HP and ****ty balance and say YOU into a car with 300HP and perfect balance and I bet that Schumacher hs consistently better lap times.

Bad car balance is just an excuse for poor driving skill.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by jonpowell
A truly talented driver will be able to compensate.

Throw Michael Schumacher into a car with 300 HP and ****ty balance and say YOU into a car with 300HP and perfect balance and I bet that Schumacher hs consistently better lap times.

Bad car balance is just an excuse for poor driving skill.
Now that made my day , And its tottaly ture.

It all depends on you're skill , Learn you're car , take it to the track over and over agian test it out , I say just swap the engine in there with out any handleing mod's , And get good like that , Then youll be able to handle any obsitcals that the car god's throw at you.

InD
Old 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by iroc07
I posted this a million times. the handling difference is not an issue. honestly there is only a handlefull of people on this forum that have the talent/ability/experience to be considering the handling differences. I am one of those people, and I have talked to some of the others that would know and we have all come to the same conclusion: its not even important enough to be considered! and if you are that worried about it and you are swapping and spending lots of time and $$$$$, throw the battery in the back, get rid of some unneeded things up front, and upgrade the brakes like you should for any of these swaps. You need a brake upgrade not because of weight, but because you can get the little car going to higher speeds, in a shorter distance than you could before, hence more slowing power is needed so you dont plow into something.
Thank you! Finally, something substantive.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

not only what I said, but Jon backed me up on it. take some time and practice a little more with your car instead of making theories, and then you wont have to worry about it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:24 PM

rb25 revs to 6,800 stock i believe. it has a longer stroke.. i was gonna swap rb25 then i found out it wasn't too revy stock and had a longer stroke so i'll be going for an rb20 instead that revs to like 8k stock.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah and has 20% less displacement...revs dont make horsepower, just prolong shifts. If your cams, valves, injectors, turbo, etc... dont support 8K its not gonna do you ANY good.

There is a reason Nissan quit making the RB20DET for the RB25DET....they are alot smarter than I am....Maybe they knew something we don't?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:55 PM

Throw Michael Schumacher into a 300hp RB25 swapped S13 and then let him run in one with an SR. If both cars were stock other than the swap and the power mods necessary to get 300 out of the SR (cheaper than an RB swap; boost controllers run about $50-100 on ebay), the SR's better weight balance would make all the difference.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

You think so? You dont think the off and on boost torque of the RB25 would more than compensate?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by jonpowell
You think so? You dont think the off and on boost torque of the RB25 would more than compensate?
not necessarily. It comes down to how the car is set up and handles at the limit.

my personal bench racing opinion is that there are six cylinder cars that weigh far more than an RB25 240SX, like an SC300. it's just that you have the option of having a 4-cyl.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM

and i bet you the RB25 stock probley spools faster then the SR 2.0L and 2.5L more exchast to power that turbo.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

Plus the RB25 is higher compression too!

There is a reason that Nissan didn't put the SR20 in its bad boy, the Skyline also...chew on that for awhile.

Quick Reply: rb25det is it really worth it?