Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Rb25det-1989 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 PM

thats too freaking awesome man, so jealous. also... did the extra weight upfront affect your handeling? i hear some people say it does but then again who can listen to people who don't even have the motor in there car? im looking for truth ... hows it feel?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

The car drives just like it did before, if anything, I would have to say it corners a little better. The extra weight seems to plant the tires a little better. My only complaint is that I can't seem to keep traction in the rear under hard acceleration. I have a LSD in the works and a buddy of mine is giving me Goodrich Comp T/A's for the rear, that should help alot.

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it!

Jon
Old 10-17-2003, 06:26 AM

Once I sell my 97 240, I'll have a littly bit of money to work with. So my question is what was the grand total of the project, including the car? Because the way I see it is that this swap is the best swap for the money/horsepower. I mean, a B18c5 is like 4-5 grand and thats for what, 195hp. You gotta be kidding me. When I say this I think I speak for all of us, but your car is truely.....an inspiration. For me anyway. Thanks

Sean
Old 10-17-2003, 09:59 AM

Hey Skyline, please note the B18C5 is NA, non turboed, so 195 base (I believe this is the USDM not the JDM engine) is pretty badass. Honda ITR engines have upgraded goodies that B18C1 and other b and h series engines do not have. i know that they have better cams and manifold as well.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

I spent just around $5500 inc car for this, but I did all the labor myself, paint was donated. All in all, a job like what I had done here would run close to $12,000 retail.

Everything about the engine is stock.

Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Custom one piece 3" driveshaft
1996 RB25DET from a GTS-T Type M
R32 RB20 transmission(got a little screwed here)
All else is stock.

The car pulls like a mother and is only running on 4-5PSI right now.

Once I figure out my boost problems, I think it will be a monster.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:50 AM

Ah, right you are my friend. My point was not to bash honda. I've actually been a long time fan of their wonderful high reving v-tec engines, but Im just saying for the money, I think the rb25 is a great way to go. I mean, the b18c5 does have 108hp/liter but that's not too far off from the rb25's even 100hp/liter. I just think that reality is that most people don't have a God load of money to spend and the rb series engines are fantastic to swap. I really enjoy reading about other people's swaps.

Sean
Old 10-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jonpowell

The car pulls like a mother and is only running on 4-5PSI right now.

Once I figure out my boost problems, I think it will be a monster.
ouch man 4-5 psi? That hurts dude..isnt stock boost 10ish psi? Bad gasket? leaks?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:43 PM

how fast do you think the car can run at full boost (with the minor mods you have now & LSD)?!! high 12's? How much whp are you expecting, with just the stock mods you have now with the boost turned all the way up?

I asked one guy (who actually has the RB25det swap) called night...and his results were just unbelievable, and I don't think the car can be running 12's easily on stock boost and LSD. So, i need some clearification and more proof!!! Cuz if this is true...i'll be ****ting in my pants!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:44 PM

how fast do you think the car can run at full boost (with the minor mods you have now & LSD)?!! high 12's? How much whp are you expecting, with just the stock mods you have now with the boost turned all the way up?

I asked one guy (who actually has the RB25det swap) called night...and his claimswere just unbelievable. I don't think the car can be running 12's easily on stock boost and LSD. He didn't have any timeslips either, so i'm skeptical. So, i need some clearification and more proof!!! Cuz if this is true...i'll be S***ting my pants!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

I dont have an LSD in the car, and I havent run it yet, but all the calculators online that I have used have ranged from 12.3 to 12.9.

I figure about 275HP with the full 3" exhaust, empty cat and intake I have and about 3000lbs with me in the car.

Next season I will actually have timeslips, but here in NY the tracks have closed as it ACTUALLY SNOWED last night.

Sorry I cant be more help.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

I dont have an LSD in the car, and I havent run it yet, but all the calculators online that I have used have ranged from 12.3 to 12.9.

I figure about 275HP with the full 3" exhaust, empty cat and intake I have and about 3000lbs with me in the car.

Next season I will actually have timeslips, but here in NY the tracks have closed as it ACTUALLY SNOWED last night.

Sorry I cant be more help.
Come visit cali and u can run, unleash her
Old 10-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

I used to live in Glendora and work in Duarte, I am kicking myself in the *** right about now. I grew up in San Bernardinoa nd spent the last 5 years before moving to NY in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley. I drove past Irwindale Speedway every day to go home.

What can you do though, family comes first.

Enjoy it while you can Hyjynx and DONT RUB IT IN!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I used to live in Glendora and work in Duarte, I am kicking myself in the *** right about now. I grew up in San Bernardinoa nd spent the last 5 years before moving to NY in the beautiful San Gabriel Valley. I drove past Irwindale Speedway every day to go home.

What can you do though, family comes first.

Enjoy it while you can Hyjynx and DONT RUB IT IN!!!
True family is first..im still having problems putting family first. Good ol SGV man, good area. Im enjoying ever minute i can living here, not ganna be here forever
Old 10-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Where you heading? Stay away from snow! There were flakes coming down out here today at lunch time, nothing sticking though.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Where you heading? Stay away from snow! There were flakes coming down out here today at lunch time, nothing sticking though.
haha, after i graduate and stuff..get my life on the right track ima move up north, Canada, land of the snow lol. Ima see if i dont mind the freezing temps/snow..hell i havent even seen snow in real life!

Quick Reply: Rb25det-1989 240sx