Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

rb25 swap done problems though... help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 06:33 PM

rb25 swap done problems though... help?

OK, it is done, and done right. but I have some concerns. when I start the car cold, and then get in to drive, it bogs REALLY bad!!! the bogging happens until the turbo spools, then its less noticeable. and after the car warms up, it goes away. I have also noticed a squeal but cant pinpoint where. its either the alternator belt or (???) Timing belt? if it is the timing belt, then the 2 could be related, but I was a big honda guy, and I'm used to the chains. I was also thinking C.A.S, but dont see a tick mark. any feed back is appriciated.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:05 PM

Hey man!! Glad to hear you got the car going. When do I get to see it? Still got mine at the north shop, should be there this weekend to do some work on it, hope to get it almost done. My maf plug was cut off my harness so the auto shop is trying to get me one. What are you running for boost? And how does she drive?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Check the ECU plug to make sure it's in tight. Does it smell gassy when it bogs like your loosing spark? My car made alot of trouble after I swapped in the engine and it was just a loose ECU plug. Everytime I took a hard corner the connection would break and I'd loose spark momentarily, and the car would bog and then go, sometimes even backfire. Also maybe check timing we've found alot of the time the timing is set retarded from Japan.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

As RK said, cehck the timing. The squeal is most likely the belts, or the actual pulleys. Have you tried some belt dressing? My Miata did that sound for a little, a little belt dressing and after driving it its all gone.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

3 things to check...

1) Make sure that the temo sensor for the ECU is plugged in, that is the one with 2 wires.

2) Make sure the solenoid UNDER the intake manifold is plugged in and power gets to it...that controls airflow when the engine is cold.

3) Reset your ECU and timing.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:02 PM

the temo sensor, is this a typo and if not where is it located, and the solenoid, just use a multimeter? and finally do you know any good threads about ecu and timing? I know Hyjinx is gonna get pissed, but I'm gonna search some more after this. All you guys help is appriciated. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

temp, sorry.

I have, at home, the RB25DET engine service manual, I will look up proper timing procedure and post it here tonight.

Use either a multimeter or a test light, just make sure that it is getting a signal when the engine is cold.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:15 PM

just for clarification, the ecu temp sensor is the one with two wires right next to the water temp sender where the upper radiator connects tto the engine, correct? and could it be a bad ecu ground? I have it grounded to a bracket behind the kick panel/glove box area.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the temp sensor with 2 wires goes to the ECU, the temp sensor with one wire goes to the gauges...

I doubt its a bad ground since the car runs fine once its warmed up