Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

legal or illegal, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:38 PM

i wouldn't worry about it...unless you have to do emission test(smog) every other year...like some states...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

I gatta do a smog test evry other year But there are many crooked smoggers here
Old 08-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

in all reality..who would care what engine you drove
as long s you can talk you can always pass

i talk my way outta all kinds of shiit
Old 08-15-2003, 11:58 AM

hey rudeboy, its not legal to speed when you have a KA it only gets to be illegal when you like it!

At least you guys dont live in a town where the cops target teenagers in nice cars and drop drugs on you to arrest you.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:24 PM

Here in Minnesota you can do what ever you want under the hood because there are no state inspections of any kind.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by hardbody865
Here in Minnesota you can do what ever you want under the hood because there are no state inspections of any kind.
yea but theres one downside to that,ITS MINNESOTA
Old 08-17-2003, 11:55 PM

I'm fine with that.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

i wanna move to minne.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:56 PM

Could anyone tell me what would happen if caught in CA? Since i kno CARB is a pain in the butt...
Old 09-08-2003, 05:00 PM

I might be krazy but I heard somewhere (I think TV) that if exhaust pipe are bent a certain way, you can pass emissions.

My buddy live in Cali and he Told me he pays crooked smoggers $200 dollar to let him pass. He has a GSX run low 12s.

In Florida are smogg checks yearly? does any one Know.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joebobanaught
Could anyone tell me what would happen if caught in CA? Since i kno CARB is a pain in the butt...
if u get caught wit a illegal engine i belive ur car gets towed..and i dunno if they take it away from u forever..or let u get it back but u have to change the engine. I dont really know...
Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 PM

In florida there are no checks for emissions or anything that all the people from cali complain about. its great
Old 09-10-2003, 04:16 AM

wouldnt this work ?

wouldnt this work ? i mean if you can get an sr20det to pass smog it should work right? its like scc mag did the 240 silvia swap they bought a whole silvia front clip n swaped it all over. wouldnt that work out right? if not please explain.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/STDPAGE.ASP?...S-JAN_1994.HTM

" Engine Replacement and Rebuilding Guidelines

Overview
Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes -- not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti-tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49-state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Classification
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non-emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off-road-use-only engines may not be placed in any exhaust-controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
If a computer-controlled engine is installed in a non-computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Emission Warranty
Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB-exempted or EPA-certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

Original Equipment
The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel-to-gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe)."
Old 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM

Man, thats some crazy ****!

How about stamping your SR block with a KA code? LOL and if that doesnt work, just happens that when you get an inspection, your hood latch accidentally breaks off lol j/k

Hmmm, gotta check about Louisiana, I think its not too bad down here, they might have passed a law saying 98 and newer cars would be checked every year for emmissions, used to be the whole check was checking you gas cap, no wonder people right around in POS cars and still pass. ANd my parents live in MS, go register the car there hehehehe.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:25 PM

hey where can i find info on which states have very little or "weak" emission laws? cause i live in cali. i just wanted to know what kind of laws they have in nevada so maybe i can register there

Quick Reply: legal or illegal, that is the question