Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

KA24E Swap Boogie (Need the Nissan Xperts)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 PM

KA24E Swap Boogie (Need the Nissan Xperts)

Hey guys! I know, i'm sort of a little bit in the wrong sort of forum, since i'm asking questions here about a D21 pickup and not a 240.. Hopefully there are some resident nissan experts who can help me with a few things? Or better yet point me to a forum like this one that deals with hardbodys.. heh

Anyway here we go!
I've got a '90 D21 p/u kingcab with a KA24E and manual tranny, engine has about 433,000 kilometers.. On start-up, blue smoke, idle for a little while to heavy accelleration, blue smoke.. there is sort of a consistant white smoke though quite light in compairison to the blue, during idle.. There is no smoke on decelleration that i can see.. So i'm thinking, valve guides, valve seats, valve something or another is causing the blue and probably just a head gasket causing the white (or maybe just a lot of mositure in the exhaust system, let it idle for about 45 minutes, little bit of white was still there)..

Anyway, i'm debating on if it's worth to get a j/y cylinder head or get this head re-worked with the bottom end having soo many k's on it.. (Although i haven't detected anything that might indicate a bottom end problem, haven't done compression test either though)..

Soooo, here we go!

#1 I see that KA24E engine was used in 90+ hardbody's, 89-90 240SX's and 89-92 Axxess's (that crazy mini-van)
Are all of these engines interchangable while using the ecu currently in my hardbody? This info isn't in the standard interchange guide, and good Axxess KA24E's are more plentiful than hardbody KA24E's, and 240 KA24E's are generally a bit more expensive.. Can i simply take the mounts off my block, put them on any of those 3 possible donor car blocks, plug everything in and go? (And also possibly swap my flywheel over if i happen to get a donor engine that was Auto?)
BTW my truck is a 2wd 5spd.

#2 Assuming I wanted to hot rod my hardbody, Could i take a KA24DE from a 240 or pathfinder or whatever else they're in and put it in? I've read the guides that say for the 240's you need to swap complete wiring harness, that obviously wouldn't be an option with a D21.. From honda experience i'm wondering, can't we just tie together the 2 camshaft sensors and run the KA24E ecu?

#3 Not really expecting anyone to know this one, but what are the differences between the Z24i (used in hardbody's from 81-89) and the KA24E? Can i pop in a Z24i and bolt it up to my tranny etc?

Any help would be greatly apprechiated!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

SR20 man, that is your baby!

Solve all your problems and give you that cool spooling sound......