Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

just a quick question, ive searched.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 AM

just a quick question, ive searched.

hey

alright ive been searching for about 20 minutes now and i cant find any definate answers. I am absolutely new with 240s, so dont flame please.

couple quick questions:

- there is only 1 bolts on each side of the motor that secure the motor into its respective motor mount... right?

- are the transmission crossmembers interchangeable between auto and manual?

- any suggestions for maintence on the new motor prior to installation. As with any motor the belts plugs are getting changed. When i searched someone mentioned the EGR is nearly impossible to reach so its better off check it out.

thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 10:23 AM

anyone?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM

yes the motor mounts have only one bolt that is kinda hard to get too and usually rusted on pretty solid. Im not sure if the crossmember is interchangeable from the auto but in my swap i had a crossmember attached to the sr. Theres many things to do to the motor before install. The most important is to use hose and pipe joints to redirect the heater hoses on the rear of the engine (near the firewall) to the usdm heater inlets on the passenger side. This is important and cannot be done once the engine is in the bay. Also any upgrade such as a new turbo or new clutch/flywheel will be 200% easier to do with the motor out of the engine bay. I would suggest taking off the exhaust manifold heat shield, and make sure to bang out the oil pan to free it of dents. Any dents can cause immediate connecting rod failure. Take out the shifter from the tranny as you will need to do this to clear the firewall during install. Taking off unneeded AC compressor or PS pump would be good to do before install. hope i helped ill try to think of more things to do
Old 12-20-2004, 08:53 PM

What is your reason for taking off the heat shield besides it looking out of place on this high performace motor? I am just looking for reason here.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM

i did a good amount of research and was told/shown that the heat shield can come in contact with the steering rack under high load cornering. This can cause the steering to lock up. i dont want this happening also its a pain for any new manifold to be put on ur putting an egt guage in
Old 12-21-2004, 10:37 PM

Ok, just what I needed to know! I am trying to visualize where this heat shield is to rub on the steering, is it on the manifold runners? And does it allow heat to get to anything else or, was it just excess metal pretty much.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:55 PM

i think the heat shield is to keep the stuff on the jdm passenger side from getting too hot but a heat shield is made of metal and eventually will be just as hot as the manifold. and it would contact the usdm upper steering rack under load. the part of the steering column below where o sayy the power steering resorvoir is
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM

Ok, thanks