Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

dont know whats goin on with my ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 10:57 PM

Question dont know whats goin on with my ride

my car was idleing funny (sounded almost like a sputter, but not quite), so i turned it off and it wouldnt start back. it was turning over just not starting

i eventually got it started, and the engine sounded normal, and it ran normal for a few miles, but started idleing funny again, and when i would boost it a little it would do the sputter thing while it was boosting.

i got home, let it run, it started doing the sputter type thing again, and it wouldnt start after i turned it off, but i could smell fuel burning. im thinking it must be something with the fuel, maybe an injector or one of the coil packs is going bad. but then again, i dont know a whole lot about these things. any ideas?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

check your MAF and make sure it is connected, otherwise, make sure that your fuel pump fuse isn't blown...if that doesn't work, change your spark plugs.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM

did all of that....
took out the ignition coils, checked them, they were fine, the spark plugs were fine, we checked the thing (dont know what its called, on the front driver side of the engine) that runs the injectors, and that looked fine. and the fuel line does have fuel going through it.

we disonnected all the injectors, and the car turned over and ran for a few seconds, then died. when we did it again with an injector running for some fuel, and it didnt start at all. im thinking an injector is leaking and flooding out the engine, cuz it starts after its been sitting a while, but when it warms up it wont start, but that wouldnt explain everything.

it also smells like gas really strong after youve been letting it turn over for a few seconds. which would make it seem the engine is getting too much fuel. which goes back the leaking injector i was thinking about.

again, any help is VERY appreciated