Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Attn: Those less newbie than me. XD

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 PM

Attn: Those less newbie than me. XD

Hey guys, new poster to this board (and new to Nissans in general) and I have a question regarding swaps.

I've done a little reading, and I'm planning on swapping out the truck motor in a (thankfully rust-free) '93 hatch that I'll be aquiring in a month or so. (saying goodbye to a bone-stock '94 Civic EX, thank god. Great for pizza deliveries, and not much else.)

What I -haven't- decided on is what motor to go with. I'm basically torn between the SR20DET and the RB20DET, and my biggest concern/question is how either engine is going to affect handling. I know the RB is a bit heavier, but does it make a noticeable difference in the balance of the car? From what I've read on this board, it's not a -huge- difference, but if I'm purpose-building for taking corners, which would be the better option? I love the twisties, and I love torque, but if the two can't nicely coexist in this car...

Like I said, looking for impressions from those far more experienced in these matters than myself. I'm willing to learn, and god knows the lot of you know a ****load more about this car than I do.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

SR20 IMO would be a better bet for someone that wants to take turns nicely. RB20s dont hurt the handling much at all, and if you have upgraded suspension then im close to positive that you wont even feel a difference..but if you are really that worried then go SR.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

or, u can split the difference. if u want the car's handling properties to remain the same as they are now, have decent torque, and a lil bit of boost, why not turbo the KA? while i'm not saying that it's better than one motor or the other, i am saying that it seems like a legitimate compromise. a boosted 2.4L seems like it would address both of ur concerns. again, not that i'm promoting one over the other (no need to have that tired argument again). just that, on paper, it sounds like a good fit. of course, if ur considering other factors like rev range, power band, overall cost, replacement parts/aftermarket, downtime, and upper hp limits, then that would change things considerably.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:25 PM

remember that if you turbo a ka you are adding weight also. you will be adding all the turbo parts (turbos are heavy!) a minor price to pay of course for go fast HP. To make room for intercooler piping i relocated the battery to the rear and believe it or not 20ish pounds removed from the front placed in the rear is pretty helpful. also don't forget that the only worthwhile way to get an s13 chassis in japan is with either a ca18 or an sr20. the rb is a skyline motor(this is NOT a bad thing because skylines do kikass!) I like the idea of having a motor in my car that with minor boltons will kik da $h!t out of just about anything on the street. it kinda makes me smile
Old 01-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

i'm aware that the turbo (and all the parts that go along w/it) adds weight. what i was specifically referring to was that a turbo KA wouldn't add signficant weight ahead of the front axle (which relates to balance, right?). lemme know if that's off, since i'm still getting the hang of this stuff.