Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

stock rear amp question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:44 PM

stock rear amp question...

my rear speakers aren't working ... but it might be those clarion amps that power them. do any of you know of any additional information regarding these?

i couldn't find anything on the internet. i'll try to test them to see what pins are what, and to figure out how they work. the two amps are also different model ##s (en-965c and en-998c).

now that i think about it ... maybe ALL sound is controlled via these amps? errr, i dunno

any info is appreciated. my SEARCH here didn't find much at all
Old 12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Re: stock rear amp question...

Originally posted by djradam
my rear speakers aren't working ... but it might be those clarion amps that power them. do any of you know of any additional information regarding these?

i couldn't find anything on the internet. i'll try to test them to see what pins are what, and to figure out how they work. the two amps are also different model ##s (en-965c and en-998c).

now that i think about it ... maybe ALL sound is controlled via these amps? errr, i dunno

any info is appreciated. my SEARCH here didn't find much at all
Look for my super-long post in this thread:
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=5806

Old 12-17-2003, 06:33 AM

check your fuses that gose into the side of the amp.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Are you using the stock head unit, or an aftermarket one? Any aftermarket HU won't work without rewiring the harness leading to the factory amps.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Are you using the stock head unit, or an aftermarket one? Any aftermarket HU won't work without rewiring the harness leading to the factory amps.
i have an aftermarket HU, havent bypassed the amps yet, it works, sounds pretty good, but i get a nice whine when i accelerate...stupid amps...
Old 12-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

you have your RCA cables running next to your power cable?? thats what usually causes that 'speaker turbo spool-up' when accelerating.. if so.. try moving your RCA's or the power cable to the other side of where your running you wires
Old 12-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ixcocoyxi
you have your RCA cables running next to your power cable?? thats what usually causes that 'speaker turbo spool-up' when accelerating.. if so.. try moving your RCA's or the power cable to the other side of where your running you wires
To add to coy's post: It may mean a little more wire, but run the power lines along the left side of the car, since there's a nice fat wire harness there with juice flowing through it everytime you start your car. Run the RCA's on the right side, and you won't get that accel. whine noise (unless there's something else wrong with the install)

You might want to bypass the amps still... I'd imagine you'd want the speaker connected directly to the aftermarket amp without having to be routed through the factory one.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

To add to coy's post: It may mean a little more wire, but run the power lines along the left side of the car, since there's a nice fat wire harness there with juice flowing through it everytime you start your car. Run the RCA's on the right side, and you won't get that accel. whine noise (unless there's something else wrong with the install)

You might want to bypass the amps still... I'd imagine you'd want the speaker connected directly to the aftermarket amp without having to be routed through the factory one.

i dont have aftermarket amps...the guy at circuit city said there was a guy with the exact same problem...he said the guy had a mustang with the mach 460 system, which has factory amps...he said after he rewired the system and got rid of the factory amps, it was fine...anybody got any suggestions for getting rid of ground floor hiss...my HU has a SNR of 105dB, which is one of the higher numbers on the market....yet it hisses pretty good...

Last edited by 95_240SXSE; 12-18-2003 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Lets rewind:

tell me your system from beginning to end (hu, anything in between, speakers, wiring, etc.) - meaning brand and model. if it's stock, then say stock. Maybe we can figure out where the hiss is coming from
Old 12-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Lets rewind:

tell me your system from beginning to end (hu, anything in between, speakers, wiring, etc.) - meaning brand and model. if it's stock, then say stock. Maybe we can figure out where the hiss is coming from
ok...ill do that...

HU - Alpine cda-9813
Wiring - stock
Amps - stock
Speakers - Alpine SPS-170A

i might add that im not sure if they grounded it properly , and the direct fused connection to a high-gauge power line is a little flakey, they spliced it into a white wire which seems like 12 or 14 gauge, maybe a little thinner...the wire is near the steering column in a big bundle...if anyone knows what that is, lemme know, im making a list of things to complain about to CC when i go back to get the amps bypassed and the car re-wired...

im thinking that the majority of this is caused by the stock amps...
Old 12-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

how is the HU connected to the stock wiring? Did they connect the speaker out from the HU directly to the stock harness? If they did, that might be a problem, as basically you're sending an already amplified signal into the stock amps
Old 12-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

how is the HU connected to the stock wiring? Did they connect the speaker out from the HU directly to the stock harness? If they did, that might be a problem, as basically you're sending an already amplified signal into the stock amps
thats where the whine is coming from, and hopefully that will fix the hiss as well...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE:::

i bypassed the amps and everything is well...no whine, even at WOT goin 85mph...no hiss, no nothing...me so happy...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-07-2004, 08:55 AM

Do you have any wireing diagrams that you had used? I have a 95 Nissan 240SX and those Clarion stock amps are causeing me problems as well, Right now i only have one interior speaker working and it seems that there is a loose connection in the wireing harness for that one speaker so if i go over a bump the speaker goes dead and if i stop and wiggle the wires that one speaker comes back on but it has fuzz in it off and on when it does work.

The rear back speakers dont work at all, and the front drivers side speaker works occasionally..

I have a Kenwood Deck and would like to just bypass the Stock Amp's that are mounted in the trunk but am currently out of information on how to do this.

Anything anyone has would be really helpful ..

Thanks in advance !!!

Quick Reply: stock rear amp question...