Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

rockford fosgate amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM

rockford fosgate amp

I was just wondering, not being a real smart audio guy, but I do know that RF is suppose to be good equipment. I have been finding the RF 301S 900w car amp on screwbay for about $120. Is this one of those to good to be true deals? Anyone bought one of these or any other good RF audio stuff off ebay? Thanks for any input.

These are the specs on the RF amp.

- New ROCKFORD FOSGATE 301s Two Channel Car Audio Monster Amplifier!
- 900 Watts of Awsome Clean Maximum Peak Power!
- Perfect for Any Power Hungry Car Audio System
- 2/1 Bridgeable Channel Operation for Flexible System Configuration
- 150 Watts RMS x 2channels at 2 ohms (Max Power Almost Twice As Much)
- 75watts RMS x 2channels at 4 ohms (Max Power Almost Twice As Much)
- Over 300watts RMS x 1 Bridged at 4 ohms Mono (Max Power Much Higher)
- Built in Variable Crossover Network for Maximum Flexibility
- Speaker Level Inputs & Gold Plated Input Connectors!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

ehh..i dont know what to say either way...
Old 01-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

are you using it for 1 sub? 2? what are the specs on the sub(s).
Let me know and i'll tell you
Is it last years models (rounder) or this years (square)?

Dr.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:14 PM

I believe it was sqaure in the picture but as of now I got 2 lightning audio 12's but I believe we're upgrading those with the amp as well so if you have any suggestions on some good speakers for that that would be helpful as well thanks
Old 01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

speakers or subs?
You're honestly better off getting a single sub for space and money than two, two subs takes up too much room, and not worth it in my opinion, too much bass. Your best bet honestly would be to upgrade your speakers all around, get components, and then like a single 10 or 12 for some bass, that'd be the best overall sound. A good RF amp would be good, and whatever sub you so desire, If you're gonna stick with one sub i'd say go with something dual coil, so you know it'll hit. Brand? RF dual coil subs are decent, Audiobahn, JBL, JL, are all decent in my books. Research on google and find some audio forums, more opinions and options than I could spent a week with you and talk to you about.

Dr.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:04 PM

ok I'll be sure to do that thanks for the advice I'm also lookin at some mb quartz 6.5' door speakers as well on ebay for $50 so I already planned on replacing the stock speakers
Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

no problem, and sounds like a good idea with the Mb's. Just make sure they aren't too deep, or they won't fit in the car.

Dr.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drnovascotia

You're honestly better off getting a single sub for space and money than two, two subs takes up too much room, and not worth it in my opinion, too much bass. Your best bet honestly would be to upgrade your speakers all around, get components, and then like a single 10 or 12 for some bass, that'd be the best overall sound.

yeah man. i went out and got 2 12's and its just WAY too much bass. i'm about to sale that **** and get me like 1 10
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 AM

There must be a mistake or i misread what you writting.
A RF 301S amp can only make 300x1 at 4 ohms where is the other 600? Your refering to peak power but with amps you must look at the RMS which is the consistent power given.
So that would be:
75 watts to 2 speakers @ 4 ohms RMS
150 watts to 2 speakers @ 2 ohms RMS
300 watts to 1 speaker @ 4 ohms RMS Bridged.

What speakers do you plan to connect to this amp if purchased?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:22 AM

well i just copied and pasted the guys description off ebay so it may be too good to be true but i havent picked out anything particular but something along the lines of maybe some jl's or kicker, my friend got polks and those are nice but something name brand just havent decided yet but I'll probly get 1 12 or maybe 2 but leaning more towards 1
Old 01-13-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by rameek
There must be a mistake or i misread what you writting.
A RF 301S amp can only make 300x1 at 4 ohms where is the other 600? Your refering to peak power but with amps you must look at the RMS which is the consistent power given.
So that would be:
75 watts to 2 speakers @ 4 ohms RMS
150 watts to 2 speakers @ 2 ohms RMS
300 watts to 1 speaker @ 4 ohms RMS Bridged.

What speakers do you plan to connect to this amp if purchased?
The 900 watts in the original ad is the claimed MAXIMUM power at PEAK output, not the RMS rating as you list here. That 900 watts could be at as high as 10% THD for soem companies. When comparing amps, ust the rated RMS power at 4 ohms as a baseling comparison.

About this specific amp, a friend of mine has one (2003 model) bridged to a single 12" RF sub in a 1.0 cu. ft. box in his Saturn L200 and it is plenty of power for that single sub. In a car of the size of the 240, a single 10" or 12" woofer in the right size box with an amp of this size (300w RMS x 1 into a 4 ohm load) you will have plenty of bass to ruin your eardrums and rattle all of the loose plastic on your car.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

exactly right, people don't realize 1 sub if done right is better in most cases than two, and less space. For some reason people have in their minds a system consists of stock speakers and two huge subs.

Dr.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:52 PM

Do not use RF amps to power your components/Coaxials is my advice because they will make them sound like crap because the THD on RF amps is crap!
If your going to power subs then go for it! Believe me when i tell you you need to find another amp with good signal noice ratio and Thd and RF isn't it!
I am not RF bashing because i have a whole RF system but if you want good sounding highs and mids stay away!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by drnovascotia
You're honestly better off getting a single sub for space and money than two, two subs takes up too much room, and not worth it in my opinion, too much bass. Your best bet honestly would be to upgrade your speakers all around, get components, and then like a single 10 or 12 for some bass, that'd be the best overall sound. A good RF amp would be good, and whatever sub you so desire
Dr.
Another option would be to get 1 amp to power the whole system. I'm currently running 1 Soundstream Reference 405 (5ch) to power my whole system. This amp is more than enough. I compliments my 5.1 surround for my Alty. Just another suggestion.

Last edited by Che'lu; 01-14-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:58 PM

I agree that a proper amp, proper speaker, proper installation will definitly will rock!

I agree also that a single amp can run a system. If its a car for show with very little go then you have to have an amp for components, an amp for rear fill, and amp for sub(s), Crossovers, Eqs etc...
If its go i would do a single 12 with 2 amps, depending on the headunit as well!

Just depends on what the car is meant to do and the owner would have to make that determination.