Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Constant power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Constant power wire?

Okay, Okay. Here we go.

I installed a new CD player in my car a while ago, and I have had the same problem since then. The CD player always has constant power to it. I turn the car off and remove the key, the music just keeps on going. I have dealt with this by just turning the CD player to "off" Now it's really irritating me (having to turn it back on b4 driving again) So What could be my problem? what color is the constant power wire and remote wire in the S14? Or any other solution or point in the right direction?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Constant power wire?

Originally posted by SR20detoofast4u
Okay, Okay. Here we go.

I installed a new CD player in my car a while ago, and I have had the same problem since then. The CD player always has constant power to it. I turn the car off and remove the key, the music just keeps on going. I have dealt with this by just turning the CD player to "off" Now it's really irritating me (having to turn it back on b4 driving again) So What could be my problem? what color is the constant power wire and remote wire in the S14? Or any other solution or point in the right direction?
Does your radio settings disappear everytime you turn it back on? If so, switch the red and yellow wire - IIRC one is constant (red), one is switched on (yellow).

If that's not the problem, then you can put a relay between the main power wire (constant) and then hookup the coil relay to a switched source, i'e cig lighter + wire, for example. Get your hands on a test light and probe around in the harnesses for a decent switched source.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 AM

I'll switch them later on today and post back with results. The only reason why I asked was that I tried a test light. I couldn't find a constant power, even with the connected wires. i'm thinking the guy before me accidentally ripped out the remote or somethng.

EDIT: IDEA!

I re looked over my wiring and noticed all my "power" wires are taped together. as in red-red+yellow-yellow all in one bundle. I havn't gotten around to switching them (its damned cold) But, think that's it?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SR20detoofast4u
I'll switch them later on today and post back with results. The only reason why I asked was that I tried a test light. I couldn't find a constant power, even with the connected wires. i'm thinking the guy before me accidentally ripped out the remote or somethng.

EDIT: IDEA!

I re looked over my wiring and noticed all my "power" wires are taped together. as in red-red+yellow-yellow all in one bundle. I havn't gotten around to switching them (its damned cold) But, think that's it?
maybe... I mean, if you connect the switched line and the constant altogether, your radio would stay on no matter what
Old 01-16-2005, 06:59 PM

Sorry. Thanx for putting this in the right section. I will reply back tommorrow when I figure this waste of time problem out.