Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

240sx door speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 AM

240sx door speaker

I have a 92 240sx SE fastback, just wondering how to get to the door speakers. I've heard from my friend that you could just pop the speaker grill out ( dont see how that works ). Im thinking you have to remove the whole door pannel , I like to do/get it right the first time. please be specific.. lol im lost when it comes to audio stuff. thanks guys
Peace!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:40 AM

for the s14 theres some screws at the bottom of the panel that you ahve to take out, and u need to remove the plates covering the locks and power windows, im guessing it shouldnt be too different. just look for screws on the outside of the panel, mainly near the bottom. its pretty easy to figure out how to take the door panel off, once all the screws are out just pull it off. the hardest part for me is getting the damn thing back on and aligned.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

okay, this is how to do it. on the door panel, where the dash sits next to the door, there should be a screw, unscrew it. there should be a screw where the power window switch should be. Undo that. Pull out that little cup with the switches and unclip the harness. Pull the door panel outward, from the bottom, until only the top is still attatched. now slide the door panel upward and its off. there will be 4 screws on the plastic speaker mount piece, use a #3 philips screw driver to get them out. dont try to use any other size. If your car has the active speaker system, you will need to remove the factory amps behind the speakers before putting the new ones in. I would suggest doing what i did, and take a piece of3/8" MDF, and making a mount for a 6.5" round speaker instead of the 4x6's
Old 07-05-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
okay, this is how to do it. on the door panel, where the dash sits next to the door, there should be a screw, unscrew it. there should be a screw where the power window switch should be. Undo that. Pull out that little cup with the switches and unclip the harness. Pull the door panel outward, from the bottom, until only the top is still attatched. now slide the door panel upward and its off. there will be 4 screws on the plastic speaker mount piece, use a #3 philips screw driver to get them out. dont try to use any other size. If your car has the active speaker system, you will need to remove the factory amps behind the speakers before putting the new ones in. I would suggest doing what i did, and take a piece of3/8" MDF, and making a mount for a 6.5" round speaker instead of the 4x6's
best spot to buy some MDF? local car audio shop?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

MDF is medium density fiberboard. Get a sheet from home depot or lowes, or just about any hardware store that sells lumber. i used 1/2", and the speaker grill rubs ever so slightly on the foam speaker surround material.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:48 PM

alright cool, thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

be sure to buy enough to make like 6 plates. Youll need to do some R&D (trial and error lol). One tip, when you take the old mount out, the screws are really short. You can either 1) find screws with longer, identical pitch or 2) reuse the screws.
If you use the old screws (like i did), you will need to countersink the hole. What i mean, if you didnt alreay know, is use a paddle bit to drill the whole. What the paddle bit does is drill out a broad whole and a skinny whole at the same time. The further down you go, the more material is removed. You dont want to go all the way down with the paddle bit though, or else you dont have anything for the screw to grab. this will give you an idea of what a paddle bit is, and how it works. Just look at it and youll see what i mean *EDIT* youll need a 5/8" paddle bit. Ill try to take a pic of mine so you can see what i mean